A Few Days Later He Wrote Similar Invitations To

Keterangan eBook
Title 1 Brownsea Island
Author A.G.Taylor
Creator Microsoft® Word 2010
CreationDate 2013-11-28T14:54:13+00:00
ModDate 2013-11-28T14:54:13+00:00
Producer Microsoft® Word 2010
Pages 23 Page
Ukuran File 5,304 KB
Dibuka 25 Kali
Topik Contoh Proposal
Tanggal Unggah Thursday, 17 Nov 2016 - 05:56 PM
Link Unduh
Baca Halaman Penuh BUKA
Rating eBook
Bagi ke Yang Lain


© 1st Henley-on-Thames Scout Group 1 A History of the 1st Henley-on-Thames Scout Group The first 80 years 1 Brownsea Island Scouting throughout the world owes its existence to one man, Robert Baden-Powell. He became a national hero during the siege of Mafeking in 1899. He used his 23 years experience in the army, training men by competition and wide games, to fool an enemy outnumbering his men by nine to one. Baden-Powell had written down his ideas on training in a book called "Aids to Scouting". In the six years after Mafeking, this book became quite popular. In 1906 Baden-Powell became interested in the Boys Brigade. He set out new programme ideas for them, entitled "Scouting for Boys". These ideas were only partly adopted. So in 1907, while on leave, he decided to put his ideas to a practical test. In mid-June he wrote to the parents of boys at public schools saying, "I propose to have a camp of 18 selected boys to learn 'Scouting' for one week in the August holidays. The camp w i l l , b y kind permission of C. van Raalte E s q , b e held at Brownsea Island, Poole." A few days later he wrote similar invitations to the Bournemouth and Poole Boys Brigades to pick nine of their members to join him. These were boys from working class families. There was a good response to his invitations. On July 31st 1907 the boys assembled with Robert Baden-Powell and his assistant, Major Kenneth Maclaren, on the island. On August 1st the boys were arranged into four 'patrols', identified by a coloured shoulder knot worn by each boy (curlews - yellow, ravens - red, wolves - blue, bulls - green). A senior boy was put in charge of each patrol and a corporal was also elected. The boys were given a number (patrol leader - 1, corporal - 2 and so on) and told to work in pairs as comrades. The camp lasted for seven days. During this time Baden-Powell instructed the boys in 'Scouting' skills. At the end of the camp, the farewell cheers of the boys carried back across the water to Brownsea Island as the boys sailed away.

© 1st Henley-on-Thames Scout Group 2 The 1st Henley-on-Thames Troop c 1908 2. Henley begins Scouting After the successful Brownsea Island camp, Baden-Powell decided to publish his "Scouting for Boys". The first of six fortnightly parts of this appeared on - January 15th 1908 for four pence. In May the parts appeared in book form at a cost of two shillings. In January 1908 Phil Sutton, who ran the junior Y.M.C.A. (which he had formed three years before) in Henley, with Rudolph Consterdine, decided to form a Scout Troop as part of the Y.M.C.A. Their first meeting was on January 26th in the Y.M.C.A. hall in Queen's Street. The Troop began with 72 boys from the junior Y.M.C.A., in six patrols. The first four patrol leaders were J. Read, S. Read, C. Turner and S. Cook. Mr. Sutton took as his lieutenants in running the Troop, W. Burrows, E. Thorne and C. Rawlins. For a uniform the Troop wore blue jerseys with a white collar attached and blue shorts. There was no official uniform for two years so the jerseys were made in Manchester and hats, copied from a picture of Baden-Powell at Mafeking, were made in Nottingham. There were no textbooks of Scouting either so that activities had to be made up with the help of Baden-Powell's articles. However Scouting became so popular that, by the end of 1908, it had spread throughout the United Kingdom and to Australia, Canada and New Zealand. Everywhere boys were forming themselves into patrols to follow Baden-Powell's ideas. These ideas included many outdoor activities. The 1st Henley-on-Thames Scouts held summer camps at Freshwater, Isle of Wight, from 1908 to 1910. There were also regular Sunday afternoon Scouts` Own services for those who wished to attend and often more than 44 turned up. In 1909 Scout headquarters were opened at 116 Victoria Street, London. Baden-Powell held a rally of eleven thousand Scouts. Seven girls also attended and thus the Girl Guide movement began. At home the "1st Henley (Y.M.C.A.)" Troop was officially registered with the Henley local association on March 23rd 1909 and with the Boy Scouts Association on January 1st 1913. Phil Sutton was issued with a warrant as Scoutmaster. In 1910 the 1st Goring-on-Thames Troop was formed.

© 1st Henley-on-Thames Scout Group 3 Registration of the Henley-on-Thames Local Association in 1913 Scout Troops: 1st Henley, Nettlebed, 1st Binfield Heath, 1st Shiplake

© 1st Henley-on-Thames Scout Group 4 The Registration Form for 1st Henley (YMCA) Troop 1913

© 1st Henley-on-Thames Scout Group 5 3. The Great War Scouting continued to grow as the news of "Scouting for Boys" spread and the Scout movement became more organised. On March 10th 1911 the first issue of "Policy, Organisation and Rules" was approved. This set out the aims of the movement as to "develop good citizenship among boys by forming their character - training them in habits of observation, obedience and self-reliance - inculcating loyalty and thoughtfulness far others - teaching them services useful to the public, and handicrafts useful to themselves - promoting their physical, mental and spiritual development." The Scout Law and Promise were set out as the foundation of the principles and practice of the movement. King George V granted a Royal Charter of incorporation to the Boy Scout Association in 1912, the year in which the 1st Shiplake Troop was formed. The 1st Henley Troop continued to flourish and held summer camps at Highcliffe, Christchurch and Padworth, near Aldermaston, until the outbreak of war in 1914. As the war spread through Europe, the Troop's Scouters left to join H.M. Forces or the Y.M.C.A. abroad along with 48 old Scouts. When Phil Sutton left in August 1916 it looked as if 1st Henley would close down. But the then superintendent of the junior Y.M.C.A., Jimmie Collins, offered to do his best to run the Troop while Mr. Sutton was away. Jimmie Collins enlisted the help of J. Morris and together they formed a Wolf Cub Pack for boys under 11 who wanted to be Scouts. Mr. Collins was a great success with the boys. So he took a warrant as Assistant Scoutmaster in 1917 and Mr. Morris became Cubmaster in 1918. The war though meant that there could be no summer camps until 1920 when all the Scouters had returned and the fighting ceased. Mr. Sutton returned when the armistice was signed in November 1918. He decided that, because of his success, that Mr. Collins should be appointed Scoutmaster (although Mr. Sutton remained active with the Troop and was constantly on parade). A further change that occurred during the war was the moving of Scout headquarters to 25 Buckingham Palace Road, London SW1. 1st Henley Scouts off to camp at Highcliffe in 1911

© 1st Henley-on-Thames Scout Group 6 Camp Report of 1st Henley Scouts camp at Highcliffe in 1911

© 1st Henley-on-Thames Scout Group 7 The 2nd Henley Scout Troop 4. The Spread of Scouts At the end of the Great W ar, in 1919, there existed in Henley, as part of the junior Y.M.C.A., a Scout Troop led by Jimmie Collins and Phil Sutton of 40 boys and a Cub Pack led by J. Morris and J. Collins of 25 boys. There were also Troops in Goring and Shiplake. Colonel de Cordes, who lived at Goring, was the District Commissioner for the South Chiltern district. He found it impossible to work the Henley section on his bicycle, so asked Mr. Sutton to look after the Henley local association as Assistant District Commissioner. Now that the war was over and the Scouters had returned from abroad, normal Scout activities were fully resumed. Camping began again in 1920 with visits to Padworth. In August 1920 Robert Baden-Powell was acclaimed Chief Scout of the W orld at the first jamboree, held at Olympia, London. And in 1921 he was made Lord Baden-Powell of Gilwell. Henley Scouts took a major step forwards with the formation of a 2nd Henley Troop in 1922 and a 2nd Henley Pack in 1924. The headquarters of these was the Congregational church hall in Reading Road. Miss W inifred Hollister, who also became acting Scoutmaster, with eight Scouts, in 1926 after the Troop had earlier closed in 1925, led the 18 Cubs. Both the Troop and the Pack were confined to Congregationalists. Rover Scouts began in the 1st Henley (Y.M.C.A.) following the publication of Lord Baden-Powell's book "Rovering to Success" in 1922. Scouting was still spreading. So too were the sights of its leaders in 1st Henley. In 1923 a camp was held at Christchurch, followed by a camp at W orthing. Subsequently camps were held at Eastbourne and W orthing until 1939. The 1st Henley Troop first camped at St. Andrew’s School, Eastbourne because it was Phil Sutton's old school and the headmaster gave the Troop sole permission to camp there. In 1926 a new headquarters building was erected in the garden of the Y.M.C.A. in Queen Street - the hut that was to be used for another 45 years. The money for this came as a result of three 'jamborees' Mr. Sutton arranged at Henley town hall over a period of nine years. The Scout Association was becoming more organised too. In November 1927 the Chartered Associations (Boy Scouts Association) Protection Order was issued, giving legal protection to Scout titles and badges. In 1928 the 'Group' system was introduced whereby Troops, Packs and Rover Crews were united into one unit - the Scout Group.

© 1st Henley-on-Thames Scout Group 8 5. Coming of Age 1929 was the 21st birthday of the Scout movement. It was marked for the 1st Henley (Y.M.C.A.) Group by a letter from the Chief Scout, Lord Robert Baden-Powell to Mr. Sutton. In it Baden-Powell offered his birthday wishes to the 1st Henley Troop and said that there could be very few Troops in the movement with such, a record of uninterrupted service from January 1908. It spoke well of the stickabiIity of the Scouters and Scouts in the Troop that they had survived the early days when there was no proper organisation to help then and when Scouting was regarded as a 'mad freak'. Nearly a thousand boys had passed through the Troop and Baden-Powell personally congratulated Mr. Sutton on all he had accomplished in those 21 years to turn out good citizens for his country. At the registration of Groups in 1928 there had been 21 W olf Cubs, 27 Scouts and four Rover Scouts in the 1st Henley-on-Thames (Y.M.C.A.). Jimmie Collins was Group Scoutmaster and Scoutmaster, A. J. Crocker was Cubmaster, and Reg Pearce was Rover Scoutmaster. They were assisted by Eric Giles as Assistant Scoutmaster. Phil Sutton had taken over as District Commissioner, though he still managed to attend parades every week. In the 2nd Henley Group there were nine Scouts and nine W olf Cubs, led by Miss Hollister as Scoutmaster and Cubmaster. She was assisted by Charles Allen as Assistant Scoutmaster and Beatrice Lloyd as Assistant Cubmaster. The 1st Henley Rover Crew flourished under Reg Pearce and had its own den built in the garden of the Y.M.C.A. in 1931. However in 1934, Reg Pearce left the 1st Henley Group and set up his own 3rd Henley-on-Thames Group with assistance from Rev. B. Foalger and seven Rover Scouts. They met at the Toc H headquarters in Gravel Hill and were the first 'open' Group in Henley. A year later, 1935, the Grammar School formed a Scout Troop, with eight boys, led by David Woosley. It was known as 4th Henley-on-Thames. This Troop lasted only a few years because its leaders were called up for the Second World War in 1939. It was not officially disbanded until 1945 however. The 2nd Henley Group also ran into trouble in 1937 and it was officially closed down that October. Meanwhile in the same year, the 1st Henley (Y.M.C.A.) Group changed its name to 1st Henley-on-Thames and became independent of the junior Y.M.C.A.

© 1st Henley-on-Thames Scout Group 9 Phil Sutton

© 1st Henley-on-Thames Scout Group 10 6. A second war In September 1939 the Second World War broke out and this caused further upsets to Scouting in Henley. Jimmie Collins was in charge if the 1st Henley Group while the other Scouters were called up. Without him they would certainly have folded up like the other Henley Groups. The Grammar School Troop lost its Scouters to the war effort early on. The 3rd Henley's Toc H headquarters was taken over by the army so that they were unable to meet. 2nd Henley was more successful. Their Group reformed in 1942 and was given a temporary registration by Scout Headquarters for three years. So when Headquarters checked on Scout Groups in 1946, at the end of the war, the census returns were nil for all but the 1st Henley-on-Thames. Travel was restricted during the war but successful expeditions by 1st Henley were made to Erleigh Park, Reading for their annual camps. On January 8th 1941 Lord Robert Baden-Powell, Chief Scout of the World and founder of the Boy Scout movement, died. He left behind the largest united movement in the world. Lord Somers took his place as Chief Scout, but he also died, in 1944. Lord Rowallan became Chief Scout in February 1945. A notable new member of the 1st Henley Troop in October 1941 was John Bowles. He had been a W olf Cub with the 3rd Henley Group before they closed down. The war was ended with the unconditional surrender of Germany on August 14th 1945 and Scouting began to return to normality. The Senior Scout section, which had been running in Henley for several years, was officially recognised. In 1946, 1st Henley's headquarters buildings (the Rover's den and the Scout hut) were moved from Queen Street to a new site in Reading Road. Fred Morton, who had joined 1st Henley as a Scout in 1937, became an Assistant Cubmaster and John Bowles an Assistant Scoutmaster in 1947 to coincide with the amalgamation of the Henley local association with the South Chiltern district.

© 1st Henley-on-Thames Scout Group 11 7. District events With the amalgamation of the Henley local association and the South Chiltern district in 1947, the 1st Henley Group began to take a more active role in district events. A joint camp of 50 boys from 1st Henley and 1st Goring was held at St. Andrews School, Eastbourne in 1948 by Group Scoutmaster Phil Sutton. Two buses were hired to take all the boys to camp. Cooking, under the supervision of Assistant Cubmaster Fred Morton, was on a Troop basis. Each patrol spent one day as the orderly squad. On the Sunday before the camp, a special service was held in Henley and on the Wednesday of camp an open day for parents was arranged. District sports were started in 1948. 1st Henley first won these. In 1952, when there were ten Groups in the district (1st Alexandria of the Royal Alexandria School, Bishopswood; 1st Checkendon; 1st Goring Heath; 1st Goring-on-Thames; 1st Harpsden; 1st Henley-on-Thames; 1st Peppard Common; 1st Rotherfield Greys; 1st Shiplake and 1st Stoke Row) the result of the sports was Henley 16 points, Goring Heath 11 points, and Goring and Shiplake 6 points each. These sports became rather cutthroat and un-Scout like though, so in 1954 it was decided to replace them with a weekend camp for all the Troops of the district to attend. The first camp was held at Rotherfield Greys and subsequently other local sites were chosen. At the fourth camp, in 1957 at Goring Heath, Jim W ells, the Scoutmaster of 1st Shiplake, presented a new trophy for a competitive wide game. The Beaver patrol of 1st Henley won the Wells mallet at that camp. The district also held annual church parades, to mark St. George's day, at a local church. These were always well attended by the W olf Cubs, Boy Scouts, Senior Scouts and Rover Scouts.

© 1st Henley-on-Thames Scout Group 12 1st Henley Scout Troop at Eastbourne. Leaders John Bowles and Jimmie Collins 4th and 5th from left on front row. 8. Increases After the war there were four patrols in the 1st Henley Troop - the beavers, bulldogs, hawks and lions. Every year they made a draw for the patrol corners in the Scout hut, Rover's den and equipment hut. Scout meetings were held on Wednesday, with sports on Tuesday and Friday and a service on Sunday. The Cubs met on Monday. Phil Sutton was the Group Scoutmaster, Jimmie Collins was Scoutmaster, John Bowles and Roy Spatcher were Assistant Scoutmasters at this time. In an entry in the Court of Honour minute book on October 30th 1951 it was decided that the Scout fund should pay seven shillings and seven pence halfpenny far cycle lamps for Scoutmaster Collins's bike. The lamps had been stolen from his bike the previous week. The motion was carried unanimously. The first Bob-a-Job week was held in 1949 from April 18th to 23rd. Scout Chandler raised the most money and to mark this Assistant Scoutmaster Bowles presented him with a sheath knife. Up to 1957 the highest amount collected during Bob-a-Job week by a Scout was £1-15s by Scout Sivester in 1953. The Group as a whole collected between £30 and £90 each year, the amount rising annually. In January 1952 a Senior Scout patrol was started by Scoutmaster Fred W alker (of the 1st Harpsden Troop) in Henley. They took the name Scott for their patrol and met, initially, with the Scout Troop. In September 1953 they began separate meetings after the Cubs on Friday evenings. A year later Fred Morton took over as Senior Scoutmaster. At the 44th birthday celebrations in January 1952, Jimmie Collins claimed that there was no other Troop with more years. Assistant Scoutmaster John Bowles reported that numbers were increasing. The Cubs had started 1951 with 28 members and finished with 33. The Scouts had risen from 28 to 32. In 1952 it was necessary to split the Cubs into two packs because of increased numbers. Meetings were then held on both Monday and Friday. The Scouts' evening was changed to Tuesday. In 1955 increased numbers of Scouts made it necessary to form a fifth patrol, the panthers.

© 1st Henley-on-Thames Scout Group 13 Jimmy Collins

© 1st Henley-on-Thames Scout Group 14 9. End of an era For two weeks in early 1956 the 1st Henley Troop had no meetings because both Scoutmaster Jimmie Collins and Assistant Scoutmaster John Bowles were ill. Jimmie Collins' illness prevented him from taking another parade as Scoutmaster. In July he was made honorary Scoutmaster and John Bowles took over as Scoutmaster, with Trevor Hill as Assistant Scoutmaster. Fred Morton became Cubmaster as well as Senior Scoutmaster. In September a collection was made for Jimmie Collins. A presentation was made to him on October 13th 1956. In the Boy Scouts' jubilee year of 1956 Jimmie Collins, who had kept the 1st Henley Group going for 40 years and through two world wars, died aged 86. His funeral service was held at the Methodist church on October 28th. The Cubs and Scouts later held their own memorial service at the church. At 1st Henley's jubilee celebrations at the town hall in January 1957, tributes were paid to Jimmie Collins. Mr. Sutton described him as, "the greatest friend I ever had." Other speakers also recalled the service Mr. Collins had rendered the Troop and remembered his wonderful personality and influence for good amongst not only the Scouts but also the Cubs. Regret was expressed that he was not spared to take part in the celebrations. In February 1957 a patrol of boys from 1st Rotherfield Greys Scouts joined 1st Henley when their own Troop ceased to exist. By June this patrol also ceased to exist. The summer camp in 1957 was held at Newbold Pacey, near Stratford, to be close to Sutton Park, the site of the jubilee Jamboree. The 24 Scouts in camp made several visits to the Jamboree during the week. The Group's scarf colours were changed in 1957 from all green to green and white. During the war it had been impossible to get the two-coloured version so the single colour had to be used. Now the two colours were available again. Earlier in the Group's history, yellow scarves had been worn. Poor attendances at the Sunday Scout services led to their termination after 54 years of regular meetings, in 1959. Two new Assistant Scoutmasters, Mike Cook and Peter Giles, were appointed in 1958 and 1959. The Troop's average in Bob-a-Job week was increasing year by year. In 1959 the average was £1-6s-8d per boy. Scout Tony Taylor raised a record £3-6s-6d. In September of 1959, when he was made Governor of Tasmania, Lord Rowallan handed over to Sir Charles Maclean as Chief Scout. 1st Henley-on-Thames Scout Troop c 1962

© 1st Henley-on-Thames Scout Group 15 10. The New Approach After the initial setback of losing Jimmie Collins, the 1st Henley Troop was beginning to recover by 1959. New assistants had been recruited to help run the Group and several new ideas were being tried. In 1960 an evening was arranged entirely by patrol leaders Fowler, Booth and Edwards. Scoutmaster John Bowles was made patrol leader of the Panthers for the evening, with Assistant Scoutmaster Peter Giles as patrol leader of the hawks. A visit was arranged to the G.P.O. telephone exchange in November. The Henley fire brigade demonstrated one of their tenders at the Scout hut. Patrol cooking was started at summer camp in 1958. Previously it had been executed on a Troop basis. For the present though the venue remained Eastbourne. A scheme to clean the Scout hut was implemented on Monday evenings with each patrol taking a turn. Also in 1960 two challenges were put to the Scouts. The first was arranged nationally. It was to raise money to build a memorial hostel to Robert Baden-Powell. Each Scout was given sixpence and asked to use it to raise three shillings to buy a brick for the new building. The hostel, Baden-Powell House, was opened in July 1961. The second challenge came from Oxfordshire's County Commissioner. It was to hold special projects and patrol activities in the autumn. At the Court of Honour of the 1st Henley Troop in December a resolution was passed saying, "We the Court of Honour of the 1st Henley Troop believe that we have done our best to run the Troop an the patrol system and we submit this report as a true record of our activities for the award of the County Commissioner's pennant." In 1961 the Assistant District Commissioner of Eastborne presented the 1st Henley Troop with a 'Bushywood' pennant. This was competed for by the patrols in the autumn and was won by the hawks. The fifth Troop to start in Henley was registered in 1960 as the 2nd Henley-on-Thames (Park Place School). Horace Jackson ran it at the school for its boys. Later Fred Harvey took over the Troop until his death in 1980. Some of the Scouts attended the 1st Henley Troop for a while to try to keep their Scouting going. The 1st Henley Troop being addressed by District Commissioner Maurice Burge c1964. The Leaders, from left to right are Mike Cook, John Bowles and Colin Allum.

© 1st Henley-on-Thames Scout Group 16 11 Advance Party The activities of the 1st Henley Troop settled into a pattern over the years. Annual summer camps were held at Eastbourne. W eekend camps were held with other Troops in the district at different local sites. Bob-a-Job week money continued to increase and new records were set. In 1962 patrol leader Tony Taylor and patrol second George Bushell each raised £6. A new Senior patrol was formed as part of the Scout Troop and they attended functions called 'Seniorees' at Baden-Powell House. They also had their own camps at Barmouth and W eston-super-Mare. In 1964 a county camp was held at Blenheim Palace to 'Greet the Chief'. As well as meeting Sir Charles Maclean, Chief Scout, 1st Henley's Scouts also took part in a Scoutcar race meeting and won a tent pitching competition on behalf of the district. Cover of the ‘Greet the Chief’ Oxfordshire county camp programme 1964 Colin Allum became an Assistant Scoutmaster in March 1964 to join Group Scoutmaster Phil Sutton, Scoutmaster John Bowles, Assistant Scoutmasters Mike Cook and Peter Giles, Cubmaster Fred Morton and Assistant Cubmaster David Girdler as a Scouter. The state of the Scout hut was fast deteriorating so in November 1965 a small group of people, invited by John Bowles, met at the Scout hut with the intention of forming a Group committee. As a result there followed a meeting at Mrs. Margaret Bushell's house at which Lewis Bailey became chairman, Mrs. Joyce Taylor secretary, Mrs. Bushell treasurer and Mr. and Mrs. Reeves and Mr. W itts were also elected to the committee. The initial task of this committee was to raise enough money to repair the roof of the Scout hut. But they soon undertook to try to build a completely new headquarters. 1965 saw the Senior Scouts forming a Rover Scout Crew in Henley. In 1964 the Chief Scout had formed an "Advance Party" to consider the future pattern, programme and policy of British Scouting. Their report was published in 1966. It suggested changes in programmes, age groups and uniform for all the sections to be implemented over three years. W olf Cubs were renamed Cub Scouts. Boy Scouts became Scouts and were extended in age range from 11-15 to 11-16. Senior Scouts and Rover Scouts (for the 15-21 year olds) were combined into a new Venture Scout Unit for 16-20 year olds. Scouters' titles were changed. Cubmasters became Cub Scout Leaders. Scoutmasters became Scout Leaders and so on. The Cubs' first and second stars were replaced by the bronze, silver and gold arrows. The Scouts' first and second class badges became the Scout standard, advanced Scout standard and Chief Scout's award. Trousers replaced shorts in the Scout uniform.

© 1st Henley-on-Thames Scout Group 17 Ready for inspection at summer camp, Seaton 1967 Ready for inspection at summer camp, Seaton 1967 The Bulldog Patrol camp kitchen at Eastbourne in 1968

© 1st Henley-on-Thames Scout Group 18 1st Henley Cubs fire lighting with Cub Scout Leader Fred Morton, Reading Road HQ 12. Implementation The 1st Henley Troop and Packs discussed and accepted the Advance Party report of 1966 and in the autumn of 1967 an evening was spent kitting out the Scouts with their new uniforms. John Bowles arranged meetings for all the boys in the district of Venture Scout age and soon a district Venture Scout Unit was established under the leadership of Martin Smith. Very soon Cub Scouts were gaining their first bronze arrows and Scouts were receiving their Scout standards as the new training programmes were implemented. For several years the 1st Henley Troop had been seeking new summer camp venues and successful camps were held at sites in Bournemouth and W eston-super-Mare. Camp in 1968, a return to Eastbourne, saw a new problem in keeping Scout trousers neat for a week in a tent. It was overcome by having a separate uniform tent where boys could hang their uniforms. For the Cub Scouts, the Advance Party report coincided with their 50th birthday, celebrated at the town hall. A huge cake was baked and iced by Cub Scout Leader Fred Morton and the Group committee presented them with a Cub Scout standard for parades. In 1969 two new Assistant Scout Leaders, Richard Jolly and Tony Taylor, were appointed to the Group. Fund raising became the theme of the 1st Henley Group as the Group committee developed plans for a new headquarters. Rummage sales, draws, coffee mornings, sponsored rambles, a donkey derby and a fete were organised to raise sufficient capital. In June 1970 work finally began on the first phase of the new building in Greys Road. The fund raising power of individual Cubs and Scouts was also growing. In Scout Job Week Scout Philip Warren raised over £16 in 1970 and £25 in 1971 and Cub Scout Craig Croft raised £24 on a sponsored ramble. W hen the contractors moved out of the new headquarters, a team of volunteers began the finishing touches - wiring, decorating, woodwork and plumbing being among their tasks. W ork continued throughout 1971 and the first phase of the headquarters was ready for its opening on January 26th 1972 by Chief Constable David Holdsworth of the Thames Valley Police.

© 1st Henley-on-Thames Scout Group 19 1st Henley Scout Troop summer camp 1971, Butcher’s Coppice, Bournemouth Back Row (left to right): Toby Thurgood, George Cassells, Graham Carey, Andrew Brown, Julian Day, Mark Bowles, Gary Broley, Andrew McArthur, Julian Sawbridge Middle row: Matthew Lloyd, Philip King, Richard Jolly, John Bowles, Colin Allum, Tony Taylor, Robert Bowles, Stephen Gocke Front row: Nigel Taplin, David Spybey, Chris Cassells, David W illiams, Peter Lillicrap, Jeremy Redwood, Patrick Trowell, Kevin Vincent

© 1st Henley-on-Thames Scout Group 20 13. The Founder dies The opening of the new Scout headquarters in 1972 was a signal for the Scouts to expand their programme of activities. Easter camps had been held for a number of years under the guidance of Assistant Scout Leader Colin Allum. In European Friendship Year, 1972, the first overseas Easter camp was held in Holland. Others followed in Guernsey, Luxembourg, Normandy and Belgium. Colin also arranged regular hill-walking expeditions for the Scouts. An old two-seater canoe was donated to the Troop in 1972. Over the Christmas holiday that year Assistant Scout Leader Tony Taylor organised the Scouts in building six new canoes and regular canoeing sessions began throughout the next summer. Having canoes altered the summer camp venues to ones with suitable water for the sport. A new set of campsites was explored and links with Eastbourne were finally severed. W hile the Troop was at camp in August 1972, their Group Scout Leader and co-founder, Ernest Phillips Focquet Sutton M.B.E. died at the age of 90. W riting in the Group’s magazine, “Henley Scouting", John Bowles described his enthusiasm for Scouting. He never missed the Group's birthday celebration and one of his great delights in later years was to organise the reunion of old members of the Group at the golden and diamond jubilee celebrations. He took a very alert interest in all the Group activities right up to the time of his death. During the building of the new headquarters he made periodic inspections of the work in progress. He was awarded Scouting's highest award, the Silver Wolf in 1948 by the Chief Scout. Phil Sutton had also been involved in the compilation of the first 12 chapters of this history of the 1st Henley Scout Troop. Group chairman Lewis Bailey was appointed to succeed Phil Sutton as Group Scout Leader. Chief Scout Lord Maclean was made Lord Chancellor to the Queen in 1972 and was succeeded as Chief Scout by Sir W illiam Gladstone. In 1973 work began on the second phase of the Scout headquarters, the addition of patrol rooms, storeroom and Group Council Room. Central heating was added to the completed building in time for Christmas 1976.

© 1st Henley-on-Thames Scout Group 21 Tent and kit inspection summer camp 1983 at Pewsey Left to right: Andrew Heriot, Simon Allen, Julian Meachin, Chris Skeldon, Alex Howard, Tony Taylor 14. A period of change The 1st Henley Scout Troop was increasing in numbers and older Scouts did not wish to join the district Venture Scout Unit. So in 1973 the Makins Venture Scout Unit was formed in Henley, taking boys from 1st and 2nd Henley. John Stevens, the Group chairman at the time, became its first Venture Scout Leader. The increased numbers resulted in several successful years. From 1972 to 1974, the 1st Henley Troop won the coveted W ells mallet at the district weekend camps. At three successive world Jamborees, 1st Henley Scouts were chosen to represent the district. David W illiams attended the 14th Jamboree in Norway in 1975, Peter Thetford went to America in 1974 and Ian Harrison was our representative at the 1983 Jamboree in Canada. The Troop won the county President's trophy in 1981 and 1983. The last occasion was for the Group's 'Adopt-a-Group' scheme, started to celebrate the Troop's 75th birthday and involving a link with the Kyangala Scout Group in Kenya. Lewis Bailey moved from Henley in 1974 and Dennis Lillicrap became Group Scout Leader for a short time. In 1976 Chris Pritchett and Peter Giles jointly held the position. After holding the post alone for four years, Peter Giles became Assistant Group Scout Leader to Ron Barnett in 1973. In 1979 there was a major change in the Scout Troop's leadership. Colin Allum moved to take over as Scout Leader at 1st Stoke Row. Tony Taylor replaced John Bowles as 1st Henley's Scout Leader, although John remained as an Assistant Scout Leader until 1984. The emphasis in Scout Job Week was changed with each Scout being set a target to achieve. In 1985 patrol leader Alex Howard set a new record with £33.04. This coincided with the introduction of Troop projects, such as car washing. In 1983 Cub Scout Leader Fred Morton retired due to ill health. Cub Scout numbers dropped dramatically for a while until new leaders could be found to replace him. This also affected the Scout Troop for a couple of years with numbers falling from around 45 to 25 before they recovered. By 1986 the Troop had almost 50 members and it was decided to form a second Scout Troop. So in September that year the 1st Henley (Sutton) and 1st Henley (Bowles) Troops were formed with Scout Leaders Tony Taylor and Mark Stevens.

© 1st Henley-on-Thames Scout Group 22 The two Troops combined for a summer camp in 1987, with the Makins Venture Scout Unit, to stay at Great Tower Scout campsite in the Lake District. The large number of Leaders that this produced at camp allowed hill-walking, rock climbing, canoeing and sailing to be included in the weeklong programme. In 1982 Major General Michael W alsh was made Chief Scout. 1985 saw the introduction of a new training programme for the Scouts. The Scout award, Pathfinder, Explorer and Chief Scout's award were started with new tests to be completed for each one. Greater emphasis was also placed on proficiency badges. Lunch break in canoeing on Lake Windermere 1987 A hill-walking group Left to right: Paul Norman, Tim Appleby, Christian McGregor, Michael Latham, Iain Purrier, Nigel Head, Edward Duerr, Hugh Legh

© 1st Henley-on-Thames Scout Group 23 Julian Haigh gives sailing instructions to Iain Lambert, Lake Windermere 1987 Venture Scouts Andrew Heriot, Julian Meachin, Alex Howard and Matthew Wensley ready to hike 1987 Mealtime at Venture Forth Base, Great Tower 1987

Dokumen Terkait

Ringkasan Eprintsunsacid

Ringkasan Eprintsunsacid

11 latar belakang hatinya untuk membantu dan mendirikan pant.

Contoh Proposal / 20 kali tayang / 828KB

World Federation Of Science Journalists Wfsjorg

World Federation Of Science Journalists Wfsjorg

World federation of science journalists pelajaran online wfs.

Contoh Proposal / 17 kali tayang / 1,056KB

Program Dan Kegiatan Subid Analisa Akses Dan Harga Pangan

Program Dan Kegiatan Subid Analisa Akses Dan Harga Pangan

Penyelenggaraan pasar murah menghadapi hari besar mengajukan.

Contoh Proposal / 21 kali tayang / 1,440KB

Vol02iifebruari2011 Ceo Speaks On Growth

Vol02iifebruari2011 Ceo Speaks On Growth

Siapa yang tak kenal nama firdaus alamsjah bagi warga binus.

Contoh Proposal / 24 kali tayang / 1,310KB

Energizers And Icebreakers United States Department

Energizers And Icebreakers United States Department

Effectively use energizers and icebreakers in their own sess.

Contoh Proposal / 14 kali tayang / 1,983KB

Media Kit 2008 Exposure Magzcom

Media Kit 2008 Exposure Magzcom

Dan konsep matang yang disiapkan bisa berbalik 2008 ini menj.

Contoh Proposal / 26 kali tayang / 4,030KB